Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-4 of 4
What are your rules on forgiveness when it comes to interacting with people? - Started by: BatmanWilliams
What are your rules on forgiveness when it comes to interacting with people?
Posted: 09 Sep 2024, 09:02 PM

I want to clarify amidst the topics here about fights being discouraged that this is intended to be the opposite of that. This topic is about making peace. Peace and love <3

Recently I witnessed the mother of all witch hunts (or at least the biggest one I've ever seen, thankfully it wasn't towards me) and it has made me wonder something.

Occasionally someone, either accidentally or intentionally, will rile someone up, they'll tell all their friends to cut ties with or go after the individual, and voila, the person who riled things up has made many enemies.

Usually this is for life. Not a day, not a week, not a month, not even for years, but for life. You know that person who someone gossiped to about you one time a few years ago? I'm going to guess they still have you on the back burner.

Surely that many people don't seriously believe in the idea of not having a friendly co-presence with people they may have never really spoken to before for life, right? Right?

Even the worst among us change. Even people who once advocated for war might now see all humans as potential brothers and sisters. Even those who took the name of DA too literally may have found the help they need.

So what are your rules and protocol when it comes to forgiving people? Do you have a certain amount of time for certain people, for them to change their intentions, make amends, restored honor, a combination of these, something unique? What happened the last time you forgave someone?

RE: What are your rules on forgiveness when it comes to interacting with people?
Posted: 11 Sep 2024, 10:05 AM

"So what are your rules and protocol when it comes to forgiving people? Do you have a certain amount of time for certain people, for them to change their intentions, make amends, restored honor, a combination of these, something unique? What happened the last time you forgave someone?"

I've long forgiven those who have wronged me in the past, both offline and online. To hold a grudge will eat at you and I will try not to hold grudges and be unforgiving.

With that said, if I forgive someone, there is a very high chance that I will not reconcile. 

RE: What are your rules on forgiveness when it comes to interacting with people?
Posted: 17 Sep 2024, 10:41 AM

Presuming I comprehend all this right, it's not like I don't have rules for the kind of thing you'd be asking about. At the same time, my only real expectation as a side is that the self-excusing (for a lack of a better synonym, I'm speaking in an increasedly broadly defined way in contrast to the norm, though I do imply I expect the apologetic sense) isn't anymore behind closed doors than the slight itself.

Posted: 22 Sep 2024, 07:31 PM
This post has been edited 2 times. Last edit on 22 Sep 2024, 07:35 PM.

I believe Edmond Hammond put it best. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxKROzoOCT4
The last part is "I do ask that they make up for them" is what I would change. 

In other words if someone wrongs you its best to let them realize their mistakes and if they don't then its not a major loss.  Just another faceless person you will never see offline and nothing of value is lost.  On the other hand if they show character and apologize or make up for those mistakes you at least make a new friend, win win if you ask me.  If you make a mistake then it is up to you to correct yourself and if you don't feel you need to then again same thing applies to who you wronged.

My professor character I think explains it best
https://www.side7.com/content/OLMXQNqQ8j

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-4 of 4