Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-8 of 8
FurAffinity has been hijacked // warning PSA - Started by: Cynicallia
FurAffinity has been hijacked // warning PSA
Posted: 20 Aug 2024, 10:19 PM
This post has been edited 2 times. Last edit on 21 Aug 2024, 08:15 AM.

Many of us use or know people who use FurAffinity. The site was hijacked earlier today and the owners are warning the userbase (via Discord and Twix) to avoid visiting the site, logging in, or interacting with it in any way until they resume control. I am on mobile now and my browser won't cooperate with Side7 forums since S7's last update, so I can't copypasta the URLs right now. I will edit this post later with a screenshot of the Discord warnings. Until then, you can follow FA's updates on Twitter/X @ furaffinity.

Your account is safe. Your passwords are protected. Just stay away from FA.net for a few days while they do damage control.

Edited to add screenshots from the Announcements channel.

RE: FurAffinity has been hijacked // warning PSA
Posted: 21 Aug 2024, 12:43 AM

Update: "The Fur Affinity Twitter has been compromised. We're doing everything we can to regain access, but please do not trust anything posted on there until we let you know here that we have control of it again."

Posted: 21 Aug 2024, 01:42 AM

Just last night I was musing whether Dragoneer's passing would mean a change in site direction, preferably towards something less cronyist, but this ain't what I was thinking. 😬

Posted: 21 Aug 2024, 04:44 AM

I was about to post a journal entry about FA being hijacked. Thank you for the heads-up regardless!

Visiting FA itself will take you to a warning page about suspected phishing.

Posted: 21 Aug 2024, 11:27 AM

Good to know. It startled me a little when I came across to FA warning site.

Posted: 21 Aug 2024, 12:38 PM

This is an absolute nightmare situation for the mods and devs. I hope they resolve it soon.

-- BK

Posted: 21 Aug 2024, 06:36 PM

Luffy posted an update today with good news. I can't insert quotes, links, or images from my phone, so the screenshots will need to wait. The short memo is that their tech team has regained control of the domain and it's been locked down while they're giving it a safety check. Continue to avoid the site and social media accounts for the time being.

As a warning, trolls have been posting unsettling content, including crime scene photos and rage bait arguments. It's intended to make furry artists look like unstable degenerates. No good can come from viewing or reacting to those things, and if you do join the comments, you will likely be stalked by them. Some of the things I've seen were bad enough that they will need to be investigated by law enforcement. Keep your username out of that mess, for your own sake.

Posted: 23 Aug 2024, 02:24 AM
This post has been edited 2 times. Last edit on 23 Aug 2024, 02:25 AM.

Cynicallia:
Trolls have been posting unsettling content, including crime scene photos and rage bait arguments. It's intended to make furry artists look like unstable degenerates.

Well, two of the sites the hacker redirected to (not mentioning for obvious reasons) both have core userbases that legitimately believe the stereotype to be true, in tandem with every last furry on earth being a pdf file, despite half of all furries being minors themselves, so this incident definitely didn't help. I don't even post on Fur Affinity anymore, but I'm definitely going to be reporting any disturbing images or hateful posts that I find on there, because I can imagine how hard it must be for Sciggles to do all of that moderating with such a small team of people. This is exactly the reason why I didn't want to open and run my own art sharing site, because I don't think I could handle the expenses of running, moderating, or coding such a heavy project, even with helpers. 

Page 1 of 1 :: Viewing 1-8 of 8